Monday, November 2, 2009

Do You Speak Spanish?

Montana is not exactly a culturally diverse state. My children's experience with other cultures is pretty much limited to Dora the Explorer and Ni Hoa, Kai-lan. So, whenever we visit my family in Washington, the wonderful diversity of Seattle's culture does not go unnoticed. The last time we visited was no exception.

The kids and I went shopping with my mother (shopping and Starbucks are how the women in my family bond). When we reached the register, a beautiful Muslim woman was working behind the counter. Scott took one look at her and in his best "outside-voice" shouted, "Oh, cool! Do you speak Spanish?" She was very gracious and laughingly answered, "No, I do not, but I bet you watch Dora... yes?"

Just then two women joined us in line, speaking Chinese. Scott literally jumped straight up in the air, turning to face the two women. "Wow! Do you speak Spanish?"

I was mortified. Scott was overjoyed.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...