Thursday, January 26, 2012

The Paper Doorway


Early in December I did my first post for Project Middle Grade Mayhem. I thought posting it over here would be fun, because so few people are aware of Dean Koontz's children's books. So . . . enjoy!




One sure thing about kids is that whatever age they are, they want to be older. The "big" kids are always so strong, so fast, so smart, so cool . . . I remember when my son was in third grade and had a high school reading buddy. His buddy was his hero--just because he was *gasp* a high schooler.

When people think of Dean Koontz, they do NOT instantly think children's author. They think of adult horror and suspense, and rightfully so. However, that is not the only hat he wears these days. Believe it or not, he is also a picture book author and children's poet.

His picture books, SANTA'S TWIN and ROBOT SANTA: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF SANTA'S TWIN are a huge hit with my high school students and my middle grade son. As you can tell, they're a bit twisted, and MG kids usually love anything twisted.

In addition to his Santa PBs, he also has a couple of picture books about his dog, Trixie: I, TRIXIE, WHO IS DOG and TRIXIE AND JINX. Both are adorable.

The most middle grade friendly of his children's books is THE PAPER DOORWAY: FUNNY VERSE AND NOTHING WORSE, a collection of poetry reminiscent of Shel Silverstein.

Poems like "The Monstrous Broccoli Excuse," "Boogeyman," "Frankenbunny" and "You Get the Pickle You Asked for" will be instant hits with most middle grade readers. And they get the added bonus of being able to say they read Dean Koontz!

James Patterson, John Grisham, and many others have also begun writing books for children.

Can you think of any other well-known adult genre writers 
who have crossed into the children's market?

14 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Margaret Atwood and, not an author but definitely "adult", Madonna! :o)

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

I am shocked that Dean Koontz writes children's books. Wow.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I had no idea. I would love to try his younger work.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Regarding your question: I can't think of one immediately but your post reminds me, did you know Henry Winkler is an author? http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/46119155/ns/today-books/t/henry-winkler-unveils-ghost-buddy-zero-hero/#.TyF9fMVSRjg

DL Hammons said...

I never knew that. WOW! And he's one of my favorite authors.

E. Arroyo said...

I love Dean Koontz and didn't know this side of him. Nice. =)

Angela Ackerman said...

Okay, I feel so INCREDIBLY stupid! I did not know about Dean Koontz writing for kids! GAH> I used to read him all the time when I was in my 20's. I'll have to look for the Paper Doorway. I love doors. I see doors everywhere, real or not and wonder where they go. :)

Angela

Catherine Denton said...

That sounds like something my son would love. And I would love him reading verse!
Catherine Denton

Kenda Turner said...

I always liked Shel Silverstein's poems, so it looks like I need to get my hands on The Paper Doorway. Thanks for the heads-up :-)

Barbara Watson said...

Anne Ursu wrote for adults before writing for kids (and her story about WHY she started writing for kids is interesting and funny). I haven't read her adult stuff but LOVE her MG.

Corey Schwartz said...

Dave Barry, adult comedy writer, partnered with Ridley Pearson to write a middle grade fantasy series.

Stephanie Thornton said...

I didn't even know Dean Koontz had written kids' books. Go figure!

Golden Eagle said...

James Patterson. I actually first heard of him through his YA series Maximum Ride.

Jemi Fraser said...

I didn't know this!!! So very, very cool! Thanks for the tip :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...