Marvelous Middle Grade Monday
Shannon Whitney Messenger decided it was time to give middle grade stories the attention they deserve, and "Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays" was born.
Julie of the Wolves
by Jean Craighead George
Miyax, like many adolescents, is torn. But unlike most, her choices may determine whether she lives or dies. At 13, an orphan, and unhappily married, Miyax runs away from her husband's parents' home, hoping to reach San Francisco and her pen pal. But she becomes lost in the vast Alaskan tundra, with no food, no shelter, and no idea which is the way to safety. Now, more than ever, she must look hard at who she really is. Is she Miyax, Eskimo girl of the old ways? Or is she Julie (her "gussak"-white people-name), the modernized teenager who must mock the traditional customs? And when a pack of wolves begins to accept her into their community, Miyax must learn to think like a wolf as well. If she trusts her Eskimo instincts, will she stand a chance of surviving?
This one is a classic, and I love it. It's one of my favorite books--not because it's middle grade, but because it's so wonderful. I love Miyax. She is so brave and resourceful. I fell in love with her wolves and her little, odd bird and the way she made a life for herself in the wilderness. This book ripped my heart to pieces, but I still re-read it every now and then because it is just that good.
If you still haven't read this book, YOU MUST. It's one of those special classics that everyone should read at least once.
** Others who can be counted on for MMGM: **
- Joanne Fritz @ My Brain on Books
- Sherrie Petersen @ Write About Now
- Brooke Favero @ Somewhere in the Middle
- Myrna Foster @ Night Writer
- Ally Beecher @ Kid Lit Frenzy
- Barbara Watson @ Novel and Nouveau
- Deb Marshall @ Just Deb!
- Anita Laydon Miller's Middle Grade Blog
- Michael G-G @ Middle Grade Mafioso
- Natalie Aguirre @ Literary Rambles
- Ms. Yingling @ Ms. Yingling Reads
- Jennifer Rumberger
- Pam Torres @ So I'm Fifty
- Mary @ Writer's Butt Does Not Apply to Me
- The Accidental Novelist
- G.S. Prendergast @ Angelhorn
- Gina Carey
- Nye Louwen - My Spirit