Monday, May 7, 2012

MMGM - The Color of Bones


Marvelous Middle Grade Monday

Shannon Whitney Messenger decided it was time to give middle grade stories the attention they deserve, and "Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays" was born. 


The Color of Bones
by Tracy Edward Wymer


 Publication: May 8, 2012

Blog circle friend, Tracy Edward Wymer, releases his first MG book tomorrow. He's a fellow English teacher, very funny, and utterly brilliant (even though he roots for the wrong baseball team), so I knew I'd love his book before I read it. And I was right. Just the blurb should be enough to suck you in:

Goodreads Blurb:
Twelve year-old Derby Shrewd lives in a divided town. Lights live on the Northside of the Line, Darks live on the Southside. Hillside has been that way ever since the Line appeared naturally from the ground, much like a spring welling up from deep inside the earth.

Now the Line controls the town, keeping Hillside separated, zapping those who come near it and killing those who dare cross it.

But when Derby, a Northsider, finds a pile of bones stacked on the Line, he sets out to uncover the person's identity. While doing so, he befriends a Southside girl and soon begins to challenge the Line and the town's rules. And then, before he can turn back, Derby goes too far.
The Line through the middle of town is a force to be reckoned with. Tracy Wymer does an incredible job of actually making The Line a powerful--and believable--main character. I especially love the story's prose--so wonderful. The words and the story flow like water, and the originality will keep you spellbound. Derby and Zora completely captured my heart.

It's a fast read, and one I'm sure you'll enjoy.

*** Don't miss Tracy and The Color of Bones: ***
Goodreads Giveaway: HERE
On Twitter: @TracyEWymer
Amazon Page: HERE




** Others who can be counted on for MMGM: **

 Happy Monday!

24 comments:

Karen Harrington said...

This sounds intriguing. The cover also grabbed my attention right away.

Barbara Watson said...

Sounds different--in an awesome sort of way!

Anonymous said...

wonderful title - and the concept is interesting for sure :)

congrats to tracy!!

Old Kitty said...

Happy Monday to you lovely Shannon!!

I think this very modern twist to the perennial Romeo and Juliet type story sounds wonderful! I love the idea of The Line taking a life all on its own! Take care
x

Natalie Aguirre said...

I hadn't heard of this, but it sounds good and different. Thanks for turning us onto a new book Shannon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh....this sounds fantastic! Will be sure to add it to the TBR!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

This sounds interesting, and if this author can make the Line into a real character, that shows a lot of skill. I'll be recommending this to my daughter!

Unknown said...

Hey, everyone! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. And a HUGE thanks to Shannon for her support. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the book or process if you have any? Happy MMGM!

Stina said...

Wow, you really do know all the book my sons will likely enjoy. I'm going to reread your post near summer vacation to stock up on books for them. :D

Jemi Fraser said...

This one sounds right up my alley! Thanks :)

Sara {Rhapsody and Chaos} said...

oooo I hadn't heard of this book, but I absolutely love the concept of the Line... Adding it to my TBR :)

Joanne R. Fritz said...

Fascinating concept. I hadn't heard of this book at all. How interesting that the Line itself is a major character.

Kelly Polark said...

Intriguing premise!
Congrats to Tracy!!!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon .. love the sound of this .. and the Colour of Bones - I thought they be white ...

Good luck to Tracy - but high recommendation here .. cheers Hilary

Theresa Milstein said...

What an interesting idea. I'm going to look up this book. Thanks, Shannon!

Andrea Mack said...

This sounds like an interesting book! Thanks for featuring it.

Carolyn V said...

I love a good fast read! I'll have to read it! =D

Robyn Campbell said...

I had not heard of this one, bff. But it sounds bodacious. I'm ordering some books this weekend. It just went on the list. (Hubs said that books have overtaken the house) *sigh* He's right. I'll have to donate to the library. (((hugs)))

Heather said...

Funny and brilliant, how can I resist?! Thanks for the heads up on this one.

Charmaine Clancy said...

Wow that sounds like a strong storyline. Dark in a gorgeous way. I'm going to grab the book right away!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Congrats on being BLITZED!

Books4Learning said...

Wow! Sounds like a beautiful story! Thanks for the recommendation.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recommendation - - love the title and sounds right up my alley. Already added to my GoodReads To Read list. (didn't see a giveaway on GoodReads, though)

Congrats on the book, Tracy, and thanks for doing the hard work of being a teacher (I can't imagine, actually, teaching full time and working on a novel - good on ya!).

DMS said...

I have never heard of this one- but I am looking forward to reading it. It sounds so unique!
~Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...