Thursday, September 22, 2016

Patience

"There’s no music in rest, but there’s the making of music in it. And people are always missing that part of the life melody, always talking of perseverance and courage and fortitude; but patience is the finest and worthiest part of fortitude, and the rarest, too."
-John Ruskin


Perseverance . . . Courage . . . Fortitude . . . all good qualities, all necessary to face a career in writing, all challenging.
And then there's PATIENCE. Ah, for me that's the most difficult one of all.  I am now entering the "shopping the manuscript" stage of this journey. It's out of my hands and into the hands of my agent. Time for patience . . .

I can persevere, because I'm stubborn and have all of you for support and encouragement. I can be brave, because it's who I am and I am not afraid of my dreams. I can have fortitude, because I have a loving family and our bloggy community. I have never, ever, had patience--and no one can give it to me.

The worst part of it, though, is that a lack of patience can cause a lack of faith, of hope. That's when I fall into the blues. It's particularly disheartening in the query stage. One day at a time . . . that's what I want my "life melody" to be.

How do you deal with the patience part of this writing journey? 

4 comments:

Stacy McKitrick said...

I'm a fairly patient person (well, at least more patient than Hubby), so maybe this won't work for you, but I work on the next book. Sure gets my mind off of waiting.

Good luck during submissions.

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Distraction!!! Thinking of you.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon .. being patient while getting on with life - seems to be one way to handle the scenario ... all will be well - cheers Hilary

Laurel Garver said...

Keep a long list of other things to pay attention to--writing or other fun, creative things. If nothing else, come up with blog post ideas. :-)

I find it sometimes harder to be patient with myself than others, getting in a loop of beating myself up that makes me loads less productive, instead of moreso.

Hang in there, my friend. It's awesome to have you back on blog land again. Missed you tremendously!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...