Monday, January 23, 2012

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday - Ten Rules for Living With My Sister


Marvelous Middle Grade Monday

Shannon Whitney Messenger decided it was time to give middle grade stories the attention they deserve, and "Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays" was born.  

Ten Rules for Living with My Sister
 by Ann M. Martin


Goodreads Blurb:
Pearl’s older sister Lexie is in eighth grade and has a boyfriend. Pearl’s only boyfriend is the family’s crabby cat, Bitey.  Lexie is popular. Pearl is not, mostly because of the embarrassing Three Bad Things that happened in school and which no one has forgotten. Everything Pearl does seems to drive Lexie crazy. On top of that, their grandfather is moving into their family’s apartment and taking over Pearl’s room. How will these sisters share without driving one another crazy?

Pearl is good at making lists of rules, but sometimes, life doesn’t play by the rules!


This is the perfect book for sisters. In classic Ann Martin style, the story addresses issues of family, friendship, aging grandparents and dealing with what life gives you. While not original in theme, I think themes like this are timeless, so it doesn't matter. Middle grade girls will both enjoy and learn from this story.



** Others who can be counted on for MMGM: **
 Happy Monday!
 

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like a perfect summer read. Plus the part with a grand parent moving in reminds me of another middle grade that I read last year: The Great Wall of Lucy Wu.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds like a good one with a good lesson about living with older family members.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about timeless themes. In the year 2150, I bet sisters will still be getting on each other's nerves. And I think it's really the characters and their relationships that keep us reading.

Shelley Sly said...

I'm putting this on my To-Read list. Love Ann M. Martin and love the premise. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Anonymous said...

oh, i loved the baby sitter's club when i was a kid! and ann m martin went to my alma mater - so i'm a fan.

thanks for posting!

Heather said...

Sounds great. I think I'll pick this one up for my sister!

Old Kitty said...

Sounds like such a fun read! Pearl and Lexie!! Oh dear! LOL! Thanks for the intro to this book! take care
x

Barbara Watson said...

Timeless themes. I always adore those kinds of books.

Susan R. Mills said...

Another one for my niece!

Meredith said...

What a cute-sounding book! I love books about sisters. :)

Patti said...

I love that blurb: the three bad things, which no one has forgotten. That hooked me.

Carolyn V said...

Woohoo for middle grade! I love the blurb to. <3

Jemi Fraser said...

Ann Marten has such great books - so many people love them! :)

Joanne R. Fritz said...

Great choice for MMGM! I've been eyeing this book at work since it pubbed in the Fall. And, I agree with Akoss; your synopsis of it reminded me of The Great Wall of Lucy Wu -- except in that book it's the grandmother who moves in.

Don't they say there are only about seven themes in the whole world? Which means the treatment of the theme makes all the difference.

Natalie Aguirre said...

Sounds like a great book I haven't heard of. Would have been great for my sister and me.

Anonymous said...

Have not read this one, will now! thanks for sharing it with us!

Stina said...

My daughter is looking for a book about surviving two brothers. :D

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

It sounds like a great book for siblings!

Hope life is treating you well, Shannon.

Michael G-G said...

Oh, I need to write that book for Stina's daughter--as I was one of the two brothers that my sister survived!

Yes, the grandparent moving in seems to be a common theme nowadays. Lucy Wu, as mentioned, and Erica Perl's O.J novel. There are also a number of MGs where the grandparent comes to stay for a while (Trauma Queen) and acts as a wise mentor. It seems to be easier in MG (and perhaps in life) to have grandparents act this role, rather than the actual parents.

Thanks for the review, Shannon!

Unknown said...

Ha! What a fun read. I'm sure my granddaughter would love this, especially since she has a sister named Lexie. Thanks!

Susan Fields said...

Sounds like a great book! Already I'm curious about what those Three Bad Things are!

Jennifer R said...

This sounds like a fun read! Thanks for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...