Marvelous Middle Grade Monday
Shannon Whitney Messenger decided it was time to give middle grade stories the attention they deserve, and "Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays" was born.
Ten Rules for Living with My Sister
by Ann M. Martin
Pearl’s older sister Lexie is in eighth grade and has a boyfriend. Pearl’s only boyfriend is the family’s crabby cat, Bitey. Lexie is popular. Pearl is not, mostly because of the embarrassing Three Bad Things that happened in school and which no one has forgotten. Everything Pearl does seems to drive Lexie crazy. On top of that, their grandfather is moving into their family’s apartment and taking over Pearl’s room. How will these sisters share without driving one another crazy?
Pearl is good at making lists of rules, but sometimes, life doesn’t play by the rules!
This is the perfect book for sisters. In classic Ann Martin style, the story addresses issues of family, friendship, aging grandparents and dealing with what life gives you. While not original in theme, I think themes like this are timeless, so it doesn't matter. Middle grade girls will both enjoy and learn from this story.
** Others who can be counted on for MMGM: **
- Joanne Fritz @ My Brain on Books
- Ben Langhinrchs @ My Comfy Chair
- Sherrie Petersen @ Write About Now
- Brooke Favero @ Somewhere in the Middle
- Myrna Foster @ Night Writer
- Ally Beecher @ Kid Lit Frenzy
- Barbara Watson @ Novel and Nouveau
- Deb Marshall @ Just Deb!
- Anita Laydon Miller's Middle Grade Blog
- Michael G-G @ Middle Grade Mafioso
- Natalie Aguirre @ Literary Rambles
- Ms. Yingling @ Ms. Yingling Reads
- Jennifer Rumberger
- Pam Torres @ So I'm Fifty
- Mary @ Writer's Butt Does Not Apply to Me
- The Accidental Novelist
- G.S. Prendergast @ Angelhorn
- Gina Carey