Monday, June 10, 2019

Book Review: The Lost Voices

Lost Voices
by Sarah Porter

Goodreads Blurb:
What happens to the girls nobody sees—the ones who are ignored, mistreated, hidden away? The girls nobody hears when they cry for help? 

Fourteen-year-old Luce is one of those lost girls. After her father vanishes in a storm at sea, she is stuck in a grim, gray Alaskan fishing village with her alcoholic uncle. When her uncle crosses an unspeakable line, Luce reaches the depths of despair. Abandoned on the cliffs near her home, she expects to die when she tumbles to the icy, churning waves below. Instead, she undergoes an astonishing transformation and becomes a mermaid.
A tribe of mermaids finds Luce and welcomes her in—all of them, like her, lost girls who surrendered their humanity in the darkest moments of their lives. The mermaids are beautiful, free, and ageless, and Luce is thrilled with her new life until she discovers the catch: they feel an uncontrollable desire to drown seafarers, using their enchanted voices to lure ships into the rocks. 

Luce’s own talent at singing captures the attention of the tribe’s queen, the fierce and elegant Catarina, and Luce soon finds herself pressured to join in committing mass murder. Luce’s struggle to retain her inner humanity puts her at odds with her friends; even worse, Catarina seems to regard Luce as a potential rival. But the appearance of a devious new mermaid brings a real threat to Catarina’s leadership and endangers the very existence of the tribe. Can Luce find the courage to challenge the newcomer, even at the risk of becoming rejected and alone once again? 


Lost Voices is a captivating and wildly original tale about finding a voice, the healing power of friendship, and the strength it takes to forgive.
I loved the original premise of this story and the world Sarah Porter created. The story flows like the water Luce swims in. There were a few spots I thought the descriptions were a bit confusing, but that did not take away from the overall powerful imagery. The "bad girl" is definitely not a likable character - a great villain. We see it coming and I kept hoping Luce would find a way to best her. I wish Luce's character had been a bit more social with the others, but I understood why she wasn't.

I enjoyed this story and suggest adding it to your Goodreads list.


15 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

Interesting premise. When I saw the cover, I thought it'd be fun to write about a mermaid who couldn't swim.

Anonymous said...

I've definitely added it to my list! Thanks and have a Merry Christmas!

Old Kitty said...

Wow - the blurb is so intriguing! Thank you for the intro and review of this book!!

Happy Christmas! Take care
x

Sarah Ahiers said...

ooh sounds interesting. I'll have to add it to my 2011 TBR list

Anonymous said...

Sounds like such an interestig read. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Tyrean Martinson said...

Sounds like an interesting book to read.
I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

Heather said...

Since it passed the sequel test I'll have to put it on my list! Thanks for the recommendation.

Tales of Whimsy said...

O I SO look forward to reading this. Great review :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your review of the book. It sounds interesting. I'll add it to my TBR book list.

Kasie West said...

How fun to be able to read a book before it's been published. You lucky, girl. Sounds like a good one. Thanks for the review.

Carolyn V. said...

That sounds so interesting (and a little sad).

Hope you had a great Christmas Shannon! =D

Julie Dao said...

This book sounds amazing! I'll definitely have to keep this on my radar. Thanks so much for sharing, Shannon!

Creepy Query Girl said...

cool! This sounds like one for me since I've yet to read another mermaid story. Thanks for the review!

Conda Douglas said...

Oh, I wanted to read this right when I saw the cover!

sattakingplaybazaar said...

play bazaar

satta king

satta king count on driving yourself home, even if your surgery is an outpatient procedure.Find a support person who can help you home after your surgery. If no one can help you, then be prepared to pay for a taxi.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...