Monday, February 18, 2019

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday - The Candy Shop War


 
The  Candy Shop War
by Brandon Mull




Goodreads Blurb:
What if there were a place where you could get magical candy? Moon rocks that made you feel weightless. Jawbreakers that made you unbreakable. Or candy that gave animals temporary human intelligence and communication skills. (Imagine what your pet would say!) Four young friends, Nate, Summer, Trevor, and Pigeon, are befriended by Belinda White, the owner of a new candy shop on Main Street. However, the gray-haired, grandmotherly Mrs. White is not an ordinary candy maker. Her confections have magical side effects. Purposefully, she invites the kids on a special mission to retrieve a hidden talisman under Mt. Diablo Elementary School. However, Mrs. White is not the only magician in town in search of the ancient artifact rumored to be a fountain of youth. She is aware that Mr. Stott, the not-so-ordinary ice cream truck driver, has a few tricks of his own. 

Brandon Mull is one of my favorite authors.  He is best known for his Fablehaven series, but this one is another winner. Several years ago, shortly after the release of Candy Shop War, Brandon visited my son's school and did a signing at our local Borders.  The line looped through the store.  It was a big thing for us, because not a lot of authors visit Montana. He was wonderful - friendly and generous and truly patient with a store full of kiddos all clamoring for his attention.

Both my boys have read and loved this book - me, too!  

Happy Monday! 


28 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

This sounds cooooool. I love the cover.

Shari said...

I absolutely agree! We have this book and my children and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very cute story.

Theresa Milstein said...

Sounds like such a fun book. Who wouldn't love to feel weightless? Both of my children would love this one, I'm sure.

Happy Monday!

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh that looks like so much fun! Who wouldn't want to read a novel with such a rockin' title!

Lisa_Gibson said...

I loved this book! I was immediately sucked in and couldn't wait to see what happened. A great middle-grade read for sure.
Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

Kelly Polark said...

Wow! I bet kids love this premise!!!
I'm loving these middle grade recommendations. Thanks!!

Carolyn V. said...

Brandon is my daughter's favorite author. Last week I went to a signing (of a different author) but got a text begging for Brandon's signature. I was sad I had to disappoint her.

You have great taste Shannon!

Natalie said...

I've been meaning to read this forever. Thanks for the recommendation.

Myrna Foster said...

I loved this book!

Susan R. Mills said...

Looks good. I just might have to get it for my youngest.

Golden Eagle said...

It sounds like a great MG novel!

Robyn Campbell said...

I want to do this if I can ever remember. Alas, chances are slim that I can remember ANYTHING these days.

THE CANDY SHOP WAR, is TOTALLY AWESOME! I love Brandon Mull. What an excellent writer. Here's hoping someone says that about me someday. :)

Raquel Byrnes said...

That sounds like so much fun! My kids liked Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and this sounds right up that alley. Thanks for the heads up.
Edge of Your Seat Romance

Racquel Henry said...

Sounds like a great read! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an enjoyable read. I'd recommend Cosmos by Frank Cotterill Boyce by way of exhange :O)

Anonymous said...

Sorry I mean Cosmic

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss shannon! i gotta tell you anything thats gotta do with candys gotta be way cool!! im putting that book right on top of my other miss shannon friends book from her review today. yikes if i line up all my wanna reads theyre gonna reach all the way to montana! hooray for mg!
...hugs from lenny

Tiana Smith said...

I've heard a lot about this book, and I loved Fablehaven. I basically just need to stop being so lazy and get it already :)

Stina said...

I really have to start checking out the MG section again. I never seem to make it past the YA section. :D

Anonymous said...

This sounds like such a fun read! I have a couple of nieces that would love to read it.

Kasie West said...

I met Brandon Mull at one of his signings. He is sooooo nice. I like this MG Monday idea. Awesome.

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like a perfect book for my classroom! Can't believe I don't have it yet! :)

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

A great cover and it sounds a wonderful book to read.

Yvonne.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon .. sounds like there's a few fans here .. your boys, Lenny and one or two readers .. & how great that the boys got to meet Brandon .. cool for the kids being able to talk to the author ..

Great - thank you .. Hilary

Elana Johnson said...

I loved this book--and that's saying something, as I didn't like Fablehaven that much. But this? Yes, this was a fabulous book!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great book. I like the cover. It is now on my TBR book list.

Sherrie Petersen said...

I have this book and I'm actually planning to read it to the kids next. My son's class is obsessed with Fablehaven right now. At least five of them are plowing through the series :)

sattakingplaybazaar said...

play bazaar

play bazaar
play bazaar
play bazaar It is a good idea to replace single-paned windows for double pane ones. This will also help you save a lot of money.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...