Monday, May 6, 2019

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday on Tuesday - Molly Moon

 Marvelous Middle Grade Tuesday


Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism

by Georgia Byng

 

 

 From School Library Journal:

Orphan Molly Moon is unloved and unlovely. The other children pick on her, as do the mean-spirited women who run Hardwick House Orphanage. Molly occasionally escapes to the Briersville library to avoid them all. One day she finds a mysterious tome on hypnotism hidden in the stacks and discovers her real talent. With her newfound skill, she is able to change her luck and her life, getting out of the orphanage to win the local talent competition, and ending up in New York City, where she hypnotizes the entire city into making her a child star. However, evil Professor Nockman will stop at nothing to get the book. A flashy, holographic cover will attract readers.

Most of the characters within begin as caricatures, either very good or (more often) very, very bad. Their outlandish adventures are reminiscent of those of the Baudelaire siblings in Lemony Snicket's popular "A Series of Unfortunate Events" books (HarperCollins) with some big differences. Molly Moon's story doesn't match their clever and elegant way with words, but it does have something they lack-a satisfying and very moral ending. There is no cliff-hanger here, as Molly atones for the conniving and devious use of her skills, goes back to the orphanage to make amends, and even uses her talents to turn the worst of the bad guys into good guys. Recommend this lengthy novel to fans of Lemony Snicket's books and similar adventures.
 ~ Susan L. Rogers, Chestnut Hill Academy, PA


 Molly Moon is a truly adorable.series. I started collecting them for my daughter when she was a toddler. These books are full of humor, action, and unexpected plot twists. I also love the themes of friendship, responsibility, and all things important and good--but they aren't force fed, they unravel, which is wonderful. This is another stocking stuffer-approved MG treasure!
Happy Monday!

16 comments:

Jules said...

I love children books and not heard of these. I will have to check these out. Thanks for sharing :)

Happy Holidays
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Laura S. said...

This sounds delightful. I love the name Molly Moon! That's cute and memorable!

Angela said...

It sounds like a really fun read.

storyqueen said...

Yay for stocking stuffer books!

I bought the last one I needed yesterday.

Heather said...

I love that cover! LOL! It makes me want to pick it up without reading a thing about it!

Lenny Lee said...

hi miss shannon! thanks for a cool review! i gotta tell you i love that cover for sure. it could hypnotize me into buying it. ha ha.
...hugs from lenny

Golden Eagle said...

I started one of the books in this series, but for some reason it just didn't work with me . . .

Old Kitty said...

Awww - thanks for the intro to this adorable sounding series - sounds wickedly fun!! Take care
x

MTeacress said...

Yay for MG! I recently finished one called The Incorigible Children of Ashton Place. Loved it. Merry Christmas to you and yours. :)

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like another winner!!! :)

Tracy Loewer said...

I love all of your MG recs, Shannon. It's been great to have a list to add to.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

I haven't heard of these books, but I'll have to check them out. Thanks for sharing about them.

Shannon Messenger said...

Okay, I'm starting to think you and I need to swap book collections for a bit because once again you've picked a book I haven't gotten around to reading. Definitely need to add this one to the TBR list. Thanks #2! :)

Catherine Denton said...

I haven't heard of this one. That's why I love your Middle Grade Mondays, or Tuesdays. :D

sattakingplaybazaar said...

Know the name and type of system you currently have before calling someone to fix it. This will help you give the contractor the necessary information.play bazaar

play bazaar

Daily Word said...

Thanks for sharing. Customer Service Jobs In Lekki, Lagos

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...