Monday, November 30, 2009

May I Have a Drumroll Please....

I am thrilled to share some good news today. I received my very first blog award! I know, I couldn't believe it either. An embarrassingly excited thank you goes out to Southern Princess for honoring me with the Honest Scrap Award. Her blog is awesome, so if you haven't checked it out yet, you need to get yourself over there, pronto! :)


There are some rules that go along with this honor. I am now required to:

1.) Honestly divulge 10 things about myself (this could be scary)

2.) Pass it along to 10 of my favorite bloggers!

Here goes...

1. I am a hopeless "Fanilow" - yes, that's right, I LOVE Barry Manilow! I told you this could be a little scary. I hope you can still respect me now. :)

2. I am absolutely phobic about dentists. I usually hyperventilate at least once and I cry the whole time. Really. No joke. Remember, I'm required to be honest.

3. I am a complete and total freak about baseball! (some of you may already know this)

4. I played both trumpet and French horn in high school.

5. If I could change one thing about myself, I would wish to be a morning person. Morning is so hard for me!

6. I love shopping online, vanilla lattes, and chocolate with nuts!

7. I was 40 years old before I got my first cell phone. Ugh! Did I say that out loud?

8. My dream agent would be Emily van Beek of Pippin Properties! (Hey! A girl's gotta have a goal) :)

9. My favorite picture book author is Patricia Polacco. Ooooh, I love her! :)

10. I'm a high school English teacher and I totally LOVE my job! :)

Okay, if you're still with me and haven't run away screaming yet, here's the fun part! I am going to pass on the love to... may I have a drumroll please?

Stephanie @ Hatshepsut: The Writing of a Novel
Roni @ Fiction Groupie
Candice @ Suffering from Writer's Blog
Valerie @ Something to Write About
Corey@ Thing 1 and Thing 2
Charmaine @ Wagging Tales
Lisa and Laura (everyone's favorite crazy duo) @ Lisa and Laura Write
Terresa @ The Chocolate Chip Waffle
Sarah and Katie @ Plot This
Caroline @ Caroline by Line

These are some of my daily, must-read blogs, all run by some truly awesome ladies! Give them a visit! ;-)

AND...
Last but not least, there is a whopper of a contest going on over at In Which a Girl Reads.
You'll find the following posted at her site:

So, in celebration of reaching 100+ followers, I'm holding a giveaway. There will be three lucky winners who get to choose from 25 books (and I may be adding more books throughout the giveaway).

The three winners:

1. First winner gets choice of 3 books from pile
2. Second winner gets choice of 2 books remaining in pile
3. Third winner gets choice of 1 book remaining from pile

I may add in another winner, depending on the number of entries.

Go check it out! :)

25 comments:

Charmaine Clancy said...

You are such a sweetie! Heartfelt thanks for listing my blog, I've really enjoyed both your blogs and agree that you deserve that award.
Cheers
Charmaine

Corey Schwartz said...

Congrats, Shannon! And thanks! You did a great job coming up with ten things. Not sure I can do it!

Laurel Garver said...

Hi Shannon. I found you through Candice (one of your award recipients). Patricia Pollaco is amazing--I especially love her _G is for Goat_ alphabet book, so clever with the niftiest old-world illustations. My daughter was begging for a pet goat after reading it (sadly illegal, since we are city dwellers).

I think I have you beat with the embarrassingly late adoption of cell phones--I just got mine two months ago, at age *gulp* 41. {{cringe}}

storyqueen said...

I love Patricia Poloco, too! Her language and imagery are amazing in picture books, not to mention her illustration style.

Yay for teachers!

Shelley

Katie Anderson said...

Thanks so much Shannon!!!!! And I detest the dentist too!!!!! Ick.

Jade @ Chasing Empty Pavements said...

Yay! Congrats! When I started reading your posts, I was so addicted I had to go back to the beginning and read them all!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Thanks so much!

I LOVED my high school English teacher. She played a huge role in my own teaching. One of my favorite activities she had us do (which I adapted for my seventh graders) was create our own Spoon River. We determined which people would be necessary to run a town (milkman, mayor, etc.). Then as a class decided their would be various connections between various townfolk. Each profession was assigned to a student (I was the vet). We then randomly drew names and had to write about the person we drew. Of course, we got to pair up with others in the class who might have related characters. Much of this was done undercover, so each student didn't know their own life story until we presented to the class.

Also, since Spoon River Anthology is a collection of epitaphs, we had to include a non-graphic death for our character, like the ice cream man falling into his freezer. It was amazing the way we were able to weave the community together and surprise one another. My own students loved it, too.

Thanks again for the lovely award.

Valerie Geary said...

Yeah!! Thank you!! However ... I am totally judging you now for being a Fanilow!! ;)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Charmaine, Corey, Katie, Caroline, and Valerie -

You're welcome! You all deserve it. I LOVE your blogs! :)

Laurel - thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. G is for Goat is a good one. My favorite is Pink and Say.

Shelley - Yes! I am always sucked in by her language and I love her illustrations!

Chasing - Wow! Thank so much for your nice comments about my blog - you've made my day! :)

Caroline - What a wonderful lesson idea. Thanks so much for sharing that with me - I love it!

Valerie - Fanilow and proud of it! Last year was my 40th (and yes I was totally traumatized)and my sweet husband surprised me with a trip to Vegas to see Barry live! It was the best night of my life!

Roni Loren said...

Thanks so much for the award! And congrats on receiving it yourself. :)

I agree with you on the dentist thing--I'm terribly phobic too. If only they could give us that laughing gas for the cleaning part too, lol. And I'm glad to hear you enjoy teaching high school. I recently received my alternative certification to teach high school English and hope to be doing that once I return to work after my stint as stay at home mom. :)

* said...

Thanks for the award! I'm honored. And congrats to you on yours!

PS: I love Manilow, too, as well as Polacco. The Keeping Quilt is divine!!

Angela Ackerman said...

Sweet! I just became a follower. Congrats on the award!

Angela Ackerman said...

Shannon, guess what? I'm posting again to let you know you've won the grand prize of a full Macro Manuscript critique!

As I mentioned on my blog, it may be you do not have a project that needs critiquing, and if this is the case, you can pass on the crit and choose another prize. As soon as I know if you want the grand prize or not, I can reaward it if necessary. You can email me at:

alackerm (at) telus (dot) com

Tere Kirkland said...

Congrats! I love your ten things! I'm not a morning person, either.

Stephanie Thornton said...

Congrats on the award and thanks for passing it along! I love the warm fuzzies!

And congrats on the award from Angela- that's awesome!

I love chocolate with nuts too, especially almonds. Totally yummy stuff!

BK Mattingly said...

Congrats on the award!!I'm not a morning person either :) Ask me to stay up all night, no problem. Ask me to wake up early, well more of a problem :)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Roni - I'm so bad I actually do get the gas for a cleaning! Pathetic, huh? Good luck with the teaching goal when you're ready to go back to work. :)

Terresa - You're welcome. Your whole blog reads like poetry!

Angela - wow! Um...wow! Thank you seems inadequate here. :)

Tere - Mornings are my form of hell. :)

Stephanie - You totally rock!!! ;-)

Bethany - Thanks! Me, too - up late? No problem. Up early? No way! :)

Angela Ackerman said...

Sorry Shannon--I just spotted an error in my email addy in the earlier post. It should say (dot) net not (dot) com. Sorry--can you send your mail again? (I'll get some more coffee in me in the meantime and see if my brain wakes up a bit!)

alackerm (at) telus (dot) net

Stephanie said...

Just wanted to pop in and say hello! Thanks for following me!!!

I have several pics of myself taken in the same spot as your profile pic!! My mom used to live just outside San Fransisco...I'd visit her there in the summer when I was a kid!

Kelly H-Y said...

Congrats on your award! :-)

Scott Daniel said...

Okay, this is getting scary now. First it was baseball. Now Barry Manilow? I'm not as big a fan as I was growing up, but he's still one of my all-time favorites. While my friends were listening to Journey, Kiss, etc., guess what I was listening to?

And, no, I'm not gay! (not that there's anything wrong with that..)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Stephanie - we took a family vacation there a couple of summers ago. It was wonderful!

Kelly - Thanks! I appreciate you visiting and leaving a comment. :)

Scott - You're right. This is getting scary. I haven't even told you yet that my middle child is named Scott! *insert creepy twilight zone music*
P.S. love the Seinfeld reference! hahahaha

Scott Daniel said...

Well, let's add one more thing to the mix. I'm not teaching now, but I did become a certified elementary school teacher about 10 years ago. I student-taught and subbed for a little while, but teaching wasn't right for me. Perhaps I should have went secondary ....

Candice said...

Thank you so much! I feel honored. I really enjoy you blog as well, and I have a special place in my heart for teachers since both my parents are teachers. :)

lisa and laura said...

Ahh! I'm so behind on blogs! Thanks so much for the award, Sharon! We're so honored. I think my life will be complete if we're known everywhere as "everyone's favorite crazy duo." Love it. So glad we're bloggy friends, Sharon! XOXOX

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...