Marvelous Middle Grade Monday
Shannon Whitney Messenger decided it was time to give middle grade stories the attention they deserve, and "Marvelous Middle Grade Mondays" was born.
Guardians of the Hidden Scepter
by Frank L. Cole
Amber never dreamed her archaeology class would turn into a top secret mission that would take her across the globe, but when her teacher goes missing, Amber realizes it's up to her to protect the Hidden Scepter or risk unleashing an ancient power too terrifying to imagine. This guaranteed page-turner from the bestselling author of the Hashbrown Winters series is perfect for the adventurer in your family.
I'll be honest; I read this book because James Dashner said we should, and you know I always do what James Dashner says. For some reason I don't love the cover, but you know what? It. Was. Great! I really enjoyed it. And you know what they say about judging books by covers . . .
This is a perfect MG story:
- young, brilliant, and brave characters
- non-stop, Indiana Jones-style storyline (which is doubly true since it's an archaeology adventure)
- biblical myths, hidden treasure, booby traps, scorpions, and faceless beasts
- kidnapping and world traveling
- and ALL things awesome!
It hooked me right away and held me riveted all the way through. I can see this as the perfect book for reluctant boy readers and adventure lovers of ALL reading levels. I am definitely adding it to my classroom library.
* This week Natalie Aguirre has an awesome interview with Nathan Bransford as her MMGM feature. Don't miss it.
*** Others who can be counted on for a great MMGM review each week: ***
- Joanne Fritz @ My Brain on Books
- Ben Langhinrchs @ My Comfy Chair
- Sherrie Petersen @ Write About Now
- Brooke Favero @ Somewhere in the Middle
- Myrna Foster @ Night Writer
- Ally Beecher @ Kid Lit Frenzy
- Barbara Watson @ Novel and Nouveau
- Deb Marshall @ Just Deb!
- Anita Laydon Miller's Middle Grade Blog
- Michael G-G @ Middle Grade Mafioso