Monday, August 26, 2019

Marvelous Middle Grade Monday - Girls Got Game



Marvelous Middle Grade Monday

Girls Got Game
Edited by Sue Macy



Goodreads Blurb:
Millions of girls are now running, swinging bats and shooting hoops. Here's the first young readers' anthology of new fiction that tells their stories.

"Girls Got Game features a new breed of heroines who are not afraid to sweat. Young athletes will see themselves in these stories; their mothers will wish they'd had books like this when they were growing up."
--Sue Macy

Sue Macy, author of three popular nonfiction books on women in sports, has gathered the best fiction writers and poets to describe the in-the-moment experiences of the millions of girls who are now competing. Here's the first anthology to describe being on the field the way girls are enjoying it today -- as a regular part of their lives that is allowing them to compete, to excel, to feel their own power and potential, and to face defeat and emerge stronger for the next contest. From basketball to soccer, tetherball to swimming to horseback riding, Girls Got Game breaks new ground. This all-star lineup of authors and poets includes Virginia Euwer Wolff, Jacqueline Woodson, and Sue Macy herself in her fictional debut, creating a book that is a great read, as well as an affirmation of what girls are doing every day.

Last week I reviewed GUYS WRITE FOR GUYS READ, so I thought a collection for girls would be appropriate this week. GIRLS GOT GAME is a popular collection of writing about girls in sports--18 stories and poems by a variety of authors.

If you know reluctant girl readers or female sport lovers, this is a great book. It's a quick and easy read, filled to bursting with friendship, family, romance, and sports, sports, sports!

 Happy Monday!


17 comments:

Meredith said...

How awesome! What a great message for a book to have.

Heather said...

I happen to know just who to buy this for! Thank you for the recommendation, and just in time for holiday shopping!

Susan R. Mills said...

I'm with Heather...I know exactly who to by this for. Thanks!

Old Kitty said...

Such a positive book for girls in sports! Yay! Thanks for the intro and review, Shannon! take care
x

Lindsay Cummings author said...

so cool! thanks for sharing!

here's my review of the alchemy of forever, releasing in january. stop by?!?!

http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/arc-review-alchemy-of-forever.html

Barbara Watson said...

Interesting! My daughter is a basketball player (and a self-driven, hard-working one). She would be encouraged by these stories and poems.

Angela Ackerman said...

WOOT! Thanks so much Shannon--I can't believe I won with all those entries. I feel so lucky! *beams*

You rock all over the place--thanks for the great giveaway! Can't wait to read it! :)

Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

Jemi Fraser said...

Congrats to Angela!! :)

I love books about girls who play sports - not enough of those around!

Stina said...

Ha, Angela! But I'll get to read the book first. My copy is waiting in the mail box.

At least now I won't have to fight anyone for it when our group gets together for lunch. Not that it matters. I know Angela would have loaned it to me first. *smiles sweetly*

Vicki Rocho said...

Congrats to Angela!

I'm on the fence this week. On the one hand I want to say "about time" a book like this was written, but on the other hand I'm sooooooo not coordinated enough to play sports that it's kinda hypocritical of me.

Kelly Polark said...

That sounds like a great collection. I was a sporty girl and would love to have read that in my teens. I will put it on my TBR list!

Unknown said...

I think my baseball playing granddaughter will love this. Thanks for the great pick!

Theresa Milstein said...

Hi, Shannon! I like the idea of this anthology. My daughter reads a variety of books and she likes strong heroines.

Kristen Wixted said...

I love girl sports books...can't wait to dig into Girls Got Game.
Congrats to Angela!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS to Angela!

It is wonderful to see an inspirational sports type book for your girls.

Sue Macy said...

Thanks for the nice words about Girls Got Game. The book is actually out of print, but if anyone would like an autographed copy, I still have some available. Let me know at mail@suemacy.com.

sattakingplaybazaar said...

The quality of your surgery will not guarantee the highest price. You should not focus only on the fee when seeking a plastic surgeon. A surgeon with the lowest rates may be a great value, or he might cut corners. On the other hand, those who play bazaar charge too much may have the best equipment, or that he is simply charging too much. satta king You will never know without investigating them beforehand.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...