Thursday, March 18, 2010

A Little Silliness

I wrote this silly alphabet book as a distraction a while ago. It was something to keep my mind busy while I hid from the re-writes of my chapter book (which I've finished again now - yay!). Here's a little silliness, from me to you - enjoy!




The Techno A B C’s




The A B C’s… they used to be just apples, cats and bows.
Not today, ‘cause kids all know the alphabet’s gone techno!


Now, A is still for Apple, but not the sweet, red fruit.
Today it’s for the company that makes computer loot.

B is what begins such words as Bluetooth, blog and bling,
And B is for your Blackberry – the newest, coolest thing!

C is for the cell phone you just can’t seem to put down,
And for a world called cyberspace, where all things can be found.

D performs the downloads to your database and more.
It’s DVD’s and desktops and digitals galore.

E begins so many things like emails and e-books,
Ezines, ear buds, and eBay (where shoppers go to look).

F is for the flat screen we all beg our parents for
The flash drive for our file folders, the Facebook we adore.

G brings Dad the GPS that helps him find his way
It’s Google and the Guitar Hero we play every day.

H today is for HD, which means High Definition
HTML computer talk and handhelds with precision.

Ipods, Iphones, Ipets, Itunes … they all start with I.
And now there’s Instant Messaging for telling friends goodbye.

J is for the Jpegs that become graphics or pictures
And for the JavaScript that’s used to program website features.

K is for the keyboard used for typing words and numbers
And those “Kajeet for Kids” cell phones we use for calling mothers.

L always lets us login to our laptops and accounts
And links us to more places than we ever dreamed about.

M is for our favorites, like MySpace and MP3’s
It’s all those megapixels and the media we receive.

N is for Nintendo – both the GameCube and DS
It’s also for the networking we now do “wireless”.

O takes each of us online to surf the internet
And runs our operating systems for our benefit.

Without P there’d be no Podcasts, PDA’s or PSP’s
And how could we survive today without our own PC’s?

Q is rather quirky, but begins the word QuickTime
Quicktime is used with software and fun Disney games online.

R stands for the roaming and the ringtones of cell phones
For the memories of RAM and ROM; for Refresh and Reload.

We use S to surf the internet for smartboards and smartphones
And S is for the songs we hear on satellite radios.

The technology of touchscreens and of texting start with T
So does the TiVo we all want on our big screen TV’s.

U is for the ultrasound to see inside our bodies
And the ports on our computers that we call USB’s.

V is for the viruses that make computers crash
For virtual reality and video that lasts.

W is the Worldwide Web, wireless and Wii
Webcams, Wikipedia, and Windows technology.

X of course is XBOX, a favorite gaming system
Don’t forget it’s also Xerox and the XM music system.

Y today is Yahoo! for news and entertainment.
It’s yellowbook.com online and all those YouTube segments.

Z is for the zip drive that stores your information,
The zoom on your new camera and the Zune for your vacation.


While Mommy reads, you just might wonder, “What are all of these?”
Listen closely and you’ll learn your Techno A B C’s.

41 comments:

Unknown said...

lol, that is probably how kids learn the ABC's these days.

Kimberly Franklin said...

I love this! So creative and true!!!

Corey Schwartz said...

Wow! That was awesome! :)

Jeanette Levellie said...

Darling! Brilliant! Wish I'd thought of this. You are a blessing.

Jen
Audience of ONE

Joyce said...

I absolutely love this post. Very clever for today's times.
Joyce

Kelly Polark said...

A to Z Awesomeness!
Very clever!

Jonathon Arntson said...

Oh my, nice job!!

Kristi Faith said...

Oooh I'm green with envy at your talent! That was so clever and fun! :0) Thanks for sharing.

TerryLynnJohnson said...

how did you get all that to rhyme? poets amaze me.

Jemi Fraser said...

Awesome - that's fun :)

Patti said...

Awesome. The Bare Naked Ladies sing an ABC where they use words that have the letter at the beginning, but sound like a different letter. Like A is for aisle. It's quite funny.

Sarah Ahiers said...

Ha! This is awesome!

Valerie Geary said...

Brilliant!! If you listen carefully you can hear me clapping over here!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Thanks, everybody! I had fun writing it. :-)

Patti - That sounds very cool. I'll have to see if I can find it. Thanks.

Stephanie Thornton said...

That is totally awesome! I'm super impressed! I might have to send some teacher friends to read this. :)

L. T. Host said...

How freakin' cute! Hilarious!

Carolyn V. said...

OH my gosh Shannon, those are awesome! How did you ever think of all those things? Whew!

DL Hammons said...

A+++++ Go straight to the head of the class!

Pure awesomeness!!!

Heather Zundel said...

Hee hee. This makes me giggle.

Shelley Sly said...

This is so cute and so creative!! :) :)

Danyelle L. said...

Ha! This is awesome! :)
Thanks for stopping by my blog. :D

Tere Kirkland said...

Awesome!

I wonder if there's a way to make this into an interactive webpage that kids can go on with their parents and check it out. I'm no good at the tech stuff, but the designer in me can see pop-up pictures and virtual pages to turn...

Love how you rhymed mp3s and receive! Great!

Christina Lee said...

LOL-- PERFECT!!!!!

Abby Annis said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. :)

Tina Lynn said...

You had me at Apple :D

Roxy said...

So good. I loved this techno alphabet!

Elana Johnson said...

Dude, this is fantastic! You should submit it... :)

Jennie Englund said...

So fun! And original! And true!

You have to get this out there!!!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

You guys are making my day! Thanks SO MUCH for your sweet comments. I'm thrilled you're all enjoying my silly version of the ABC's.

As for getting it out there, I didn't think it would fly, since technology is so fleeting, always changing. What do you think?

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Shannon -

Delightful and creative - what every modern pre-schooler should have in their backpack. :)

Blessings,
Susan

Courtney Barr - The Southern Princess said...

Oh Shannon! Thanks so much for the wonderful Techno ABC's! I LOVE THIS!

So creative!

my personal favorite: B & I - love the Bling ;o)

Visit My Kingdom Anytime

Mary Aalgaard said...

That was just great. I can just hear the kiddos explaining these things to the grown-up!

sarahjayne smythe said...

Oh, I love this. So perfect and so cute. :)

Unknown said...

Brilliant post! Worthy of a gold star in Google Reader, I feel :)

Heidi Willis said...

Oh my gosh! That was awesome!! And so true!! My kids probably know all of those things better than the traditional ABC items!

I remember when my son was two and we had dial up. He wanted to sing us a song, so we stood around him and he just stood there. "Are you going to sing?" I asked. He gave me a very peeved look. "Yes, mommy. I'm downloading." :)

Kathi Oram Peterson said...

Soooo cute! Love it! :)

Anonymous said...

hehe you are very clever! :o)))

Jessie Oliveros said...

Shannon-this is adorable! You're so creative. And you're right. My nephew was changing the wall paper on his kindergarten computers when he was four.

Anonymous said...

So cute! I learned so much. ;o) Thank you for sharing.

Sherrie Petersen said...

That's awesome, Shannon! I'm going to have to read this to my kids -- they'll love it!

Patti Lacy said...

Oh, MYYYY! This is AMAZING!!!!

Shannon, not only are you a great writer, but you're also a comedian.
I'm jealous.

P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...