Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The Three P's of MS Submission

Author Charline Profiri has a wonderful website full of writing tips and resources. To explore it, click here! She is the author of the adorable picture book, Counting Little Geckos, and on her site you'll find a wonderful, FREE teaching guide with 50 activities.

I discovered this fun writing poem on her site and had to share it with you!
The Three P's of Submission:
Practice, Patience, Persistence
 by Charline Profiri

Write, read aloud, rewrite.
Stash away for a month.
Reread, revise, read aloud.
Send to your critique group.
Revise and read aloud.

Study publishers.
List possibilities.
Choose one.
Write cover letter.
Address envelope.
Include SASE.
Wait, hope, wait. Wait, hope wait.

Nine months later,
A form rejection arrives.
Reread, revise, read aloud, resubmit.
Wait, hope, wait. Wait, hope, wait.

Six months later,
Good news arrives.
A personal rejection!
Remember, even Seuss
Was rejected twenty-seven times
Before his first book sold.
Reread, revise, read aloud, resubmit.
Wait, hope, wait. Wait, hope, wait.

Repeat, repeat, repeat,
As often as necessary
To get an acceptance
And sign a contract.

Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice!
Then the real wait begins...
For your book's grand debut!

30 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww I love that! It'd make a great bookmark.

Candyland said...

YES! Perfect little poem. I'm still working on the patience part though.

Renae said...

Love this! If only we could bottle patience!

Sherrie Petersen said...

Cute poem, but the waiting, the waiting...ugh!

Karen Lange said...

Great poem! And so true...:)

Jennie Englund said...

The waiting is the worst worst part. So that "patience" word is critical.

How is your querying coming, Shannon?

Mary Aalgaard said...

You make it sound so easy...

Laurel Garver said...

The way this shows a set of cycles that repeats seems oh, so true. One in ten billion ever get it right the first time.

Wait, hope, wait indeed!

Shari said...

Wait, hope, wait. And repeat. *sigh* That pretty much nails the process, doesn't it?

Kelly Polark said...

This is awesome! And so true. Unfortunately it could be repeat repeat repeat repeat. But perseverance pays off!

Angela said...

Great poem. It helps to remember we're all in the same boat.

Tracy said...

Puhleeze, who uses SASE anymore? It's all email now!

Kidding. That was cute and true. I'm at the wait, hope, wait phase myself.

Carolyn V. said...

That is so true! Plus I agree with the others, I need some patience. =)

Colene Murphy said...

Awe I like that! Not all the waiting but what can you do? Heading over to that website. Thanks for the link!

Susan Fields said...

Cute poem, and so true! Sometimes it seems like a never-ending process.

I reviewed The Marbury Lens (which you were so sweet to award me from your contest!) today on my blog.

Anonymous said...

I liked that poem and as Susan Fields said, it does seem like a never-ending process.

Heather said...

This is a great reminder and very cleverly put! I loved it! Thanks for sharing it.

Kari said...

I agree with Anne--that would make a great bookmark!

Golden Eagle said...

I love that poem. :) Great post!

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Sadly, I am not a patient woman. :)

Elana Johnson said...

Oh, she nailed it all right. And dude, 27 times is NOTHING. I don't feel bad for Seuss at all. ;)

Old Kitty said...

Yay!!!! A writer's painful but ultimately satistfying journey to publication so eloquently put!!! Thank you! take care
x

Angela Ackerman said...

Isn't this the truth? LOL

Angela @ the Bookshelf Muse

Theresa Milstein said...

It's a nice reminder that those have gotten a book (or more) published recall what it's like.

Stina said...

My husband couldn't figure out why I just burst out laughing. It's because I read this: Six months later, Good news arrives. A personal rejection!

So true! Those personal rejections sadly rock. ;)

Myrna Foster said...

Love this!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Shannon and Clarline .. I'm sure it's so so true .. nothing happens straight away unfortunately! Happy Days .. Hilary

Anonymous said...

Great poem, thanks for sharing it. Did a quick check of the website. Will check it out further.

Beth said...

I needed to hear this today. Because my query is killing me!!!!!!!!
beth-project52.blogspot.com

Vicki Rocho said...

I was thinking about re-doing my forms post today so it was applicable to the query process, but this is kinda what it'd look like, so now there's no need.

That picture book looks adorable!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...