Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Gateways


"Nothing is predestined. The obstacles of your past can become the gateways that lead to new beginnings."
~ Ralph Blum



If there is one thing we learn as writers, it's that nothing is guaranteed in the book world. More than anything else, we have to hold onto hope with both hands. Never let it go. A setback today may be the stepping stone that leads us forward tomorrow. 

So many writers have shared stories of heartbreak and success with us over the years. SO MANY: Elana Johnson's 180+ rejections before finding an agent smart enough to sign her; Beth Revis wrote TEN novels over TEN years before her ACROSS THE UNIVERSE success. It goes on and on . . .

If you want to be inspired, to feel hopeful, to believe in the impossible, read the following stories.

* Caroline Starr Rose's joy...then disappointment...then joy again story HERE and HERE and HERE 
* Natalie Whipple wrote this post HERE and now has a novel being published by HARPER TEEN in 2013!!
* Katie Ganshert's long wait HERE
* Karen Amanda Hooper's story, HERE 
* Shelli Johannes-Wells's story HERE

These are only a few of the many stories out there, but they never fail to make my heart smile and soar with new hope.

What helps keep your hope alive?

16 comments:

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for the inspiring thoughts and sharing about other published author's struggles in their journeys to publication.

Reminding myself of quotes like this one and that what I want like an agent and publication will come when they are meant to happen keep me going. I've had this lesson banged on my head many times with other important life transitions so I know it must be true.

Old Kitty said...

Yay for such inspirational links and words - thanks lovely Shannon! I guess what helps me keep hope alive is the fact that I still get a very personal thrill when I finish a story - even if I know it may never see the light of day - I know that it's been critiqued, revised, edited, critiqued some more and revised infinitum to a polished professional standard. That whole process makes me happy cos I know then that my initial story was a good one but just in need of tweaking! Take care
x

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Very true. Looking to our past and our reaction to those experiences can give us insight into how we should handle our present and, ultimately, our future. I've missed your quotes. Love them!

Jemi Fraser said...

So true! There are so many terrific writers who've gone through the ups and downs and ups. And they're SO talented!

Kenda Turner said...

Thanks for a dose of inspiration for the day :-)

DL Hammons said...

It's story like those that give me hope. Although sometimes I wonder if its HOPE...or just plain ole stubborness? :)

Laura Pauling said...

I love reading those posts, so inspiring. Have you read Elana's truthful one recently? Pretty incredible.

storyqueen said...

I have to agree with DL--hope + stubborness = one heck of a combination!

thanks for sharing the stories, Shannon!

Shelley

Tales of Whimsy said...

Amazing line & reminder.

Kristen Wixted said...

I blogged a pep-talk today. Not so much a success story (though I do hope one is in the near future for me) but a let's keep it going kind of thing.
So important!

Candice said...

Perseverance is the name of the game in writing. I always think that if I stick to it, I'll be published some day. I just can't ever give up.

Anonymous said...

These are fantastic, Shannon. I can very much relate. And then, even having a book out - then people have to buy/read it! It never ends.

I try to only focus on today, right now. that's all we can do. Live in the moment and enjoy it.

Patti said...

It's such a good reminder that no one is an overnight success and that you have to work hard to get what you want.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this Shannon! I knew Beth's story, had no clue on Elana's. Just wow....keep on keeping on. And new hope is always a good thing!

Caroline Starr Rose said...

Wow! This was totally unexpected (and so kind of you). xo

Meredith said...

Those kinds of stories definitely give me inspiration to keep going, even on the toughest days. I needed this today, Shannon, so thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...