Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Kindle Fire


 I'm in love with my Kindle Fire, 
and here's why . . .


Thanks to the combination of  landing an agent and the upcoming Christmas season, I was able to sweet-talk my hubby into getting me a Kindle Fire. And I love it! I know not everyone has an eReader and many are still apprehensive about them (it took me a long time to cross that line, too), but the Fire is really something fun.

Aside from the amazingly inexpensive $199 price, I love that it's in color.We are all pretty addicted to book covers, and seeing my favorites in color is awesome! Also, I no longer need a portable reading light at night because I can switch to a black background with white font. Then, voila! No problem.

My kids love playing Android Apps like Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies on it. My 9 yo even uses it to practice his math facts--I downloaded some free math games and flash card apps, and now he loves to practice.

I use my Fire to check my email, Twitter, and FB accounts. I use it as a family planner/calendar. I watch Dr. Who and Lost on it. I can use it as a GPS, a calculator, a travel planner, an alarm clock, an MP3 player, a movie player, and a gaming device. AND MORE.

*****

For anyone who has a Fire (or gets one), the KINDLE FIRE DEPARTMENT BLOG is a gold mine of information. I think it's a DAILY must-read. The Fire Department provides links to Amazon's daily FREE kindle books and daily FREE Android Apps

Even better, the Fire Department Blog provides tips and tricks to help make your Kindle run better: How to set up an external speaker system; How to use the Cloud Drive memory to maximum effect; How to sync your fire with your desktop apps . . . Plus, if you have a question, they will try to find the answer for you. I am addicted to the info on this blog!!

A recent tidbit from the Fire Dept. was a link to this article, which you might find interesting:
* An awesome article called The Goldilocks tablet: Why Amazon’s 7-inch Kindle Fire is ‘just right’

If you are considering whether or not to purchase the Kindle Fire, 
I say go for it! 
I really LOVE mine!

26 comments:

Scott Daniel said...

Thanks for the report, Shannon. I've been eying the Kindle Touch. I use my iPhone for reading quite a bit, but the small screen size is bothersome.

I am considering the Fire for one of my kids for Christmas. He's screaming for an iPod Touch, but this seems to offer everything the Touch does with a bigger screen.

Anyway, I hope you've been well and that's awesome about you getting an agent. I'm still doing the self-pub thing. I've posted a novell and a short under my pen name, PJ Lincoln. I'm working on a novel that I'll release next year under my own name.

Laura Pauling said...

It does sound good. I just can't justify it yet since I have a Kindle. But some day! :)

Natalie Aguirre said...

Thanks for sharing Shannon. It sounds awesome. I buy my books so I can give them away on my blog so I'm probably not going to buy an e-reader anytime soon. But it sounds fantastic.

Laura S. said...

I wouldn't use it, but I'm glad you like it! My brother, mother-in-law, and best friend have the Kindle and they love it, too. The Kindle Fire sounds like a worthy competitor for the iPad now.

Bish Denham said...

I wanted to get the kindle fire, but it was just a bit out of my price range. I did get the kindle touch. I've only had it a couple of weeks and am exceedingly happy with it!

Old Kitty said...

Gosh! This is so on my Dear Santa list! LOL! take care
x

C D Meetens said...

I've known others who are happy with the Kindle Fire too, and it does sound great. Plus that price...

I'm still trying to get up the savings (plus convince myself it will be worth it) to purchase a regular Kindle (the Fire isn't available in the UK).

Stina said...

They not available in Canada!

I love my iPod touch because I get the covers in color too. I had the first generation Kobo (for my market research purposes. Don't ask. *grins*), but didn't like the black and white covers. Yep, I'm such a cover girl. At least Kobo got smart and introduced a color version.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Wow. Great plug for the Fire. I'm starting to get tempted, now. Mostly, because so many bloggers are self-publishing and the easiest and cheapest way to get the books is as an e-book.

Susan R. Mills said...

It's on my Christmas list. (Along with several other things.) Hopefully, come December 25th I'll be enjoying my own.

Slamdunk said...

Thanks for the review Shannon. We are a few years away from something like this, but I can still dream.

Julie Dao said...

Glad you love your Kindle Fire, Shannon! I've still never tried an e-reader but I bet I'd warm up to it if I got one as a Christmas present :)

Catherine Denton said...

It sounds amazing. You should be getting compensation for this--you've got me considering it!!
My Blog

mshatch said...

I want one.

DL Hammons said...

My wife has a regular Kindle, but she's been making noise about wanting to upgrade to a Fire. I think you just sealed the deal! :)

Heather said...

I'm still not ready to cave. But that's awesome that you're enjoying yours so much!

Heidi Willis said...

Congrats! I got a Nook a few years ago when it first came out and I love it, even though it's mostly just for reading. I just got an iphone. So while I'd love the Kindle Fire (or, heck, an iPad) I don't know that I need any more technology. :) It is so tempting though!

Carol Riggs said...

My mom just bought a Kindle Fire, and was showing it to me today. Cool that you have one! My hubby and I share a regular Kindle. I don't think for my uses, I'd ever need/want a Fire, though. I don't play apps, I can check my email at home (or can wait til I get home). I like to watch movies on screens I can actually see. LOL

That's cool you can read at night though, and see book covers in color! Those are nice features.

And BIG congrats on landing an agent!!! You deserve a Kindle Fire. :)

Carol Riggs said...

My mom just bought a Kindle Fire, and was showing it to me today. Cool that you have one! My hubby and I share a regular Kindle. I don't think for my uses, I'd ever need/want a Fire, though. I don't play apps, I can check my email at home (or can wait til I get home). I like to watch movies on screens I can actually see. LOL

That's cool you can read at night though, and see book covers in color! Those are nice features.

And BIG congrats on landing an agent!!! You deserve a Kindle Fire. :)

Jennifer R said...

Thanks for the feedback, Shannon. You're the second blog I've read today on the Fire. I don't have an e-reader yet, but the color of the Fire or Nook has me intriqued. Great to hear your thoughts!

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds awesome! I love my Kindle - but one of these days, I'll be upgrading to Fire :)

Meredith said...

How cool! I'll definitely keep this one in mind. :)

Pauline Barclay said...

Thanks, I have a Kindle but so tempted to have a Fire too and as you sayn you can see your own book covers in colour!

Carolyn V said...

OH....I want one so bad!!! *sigh* I'm going to have a long talk with Santa.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS and Merry Christmas (early)! I have a Kindle on my PC, but that is the closest I've come to the real thing. My hubby and I would both like to have eReaders, but they are not on this years list of things we can buy. Maybe next Christmas. I remember saying the same thing last year, lol.

Brimful Curiosities said...

Thanks for this informative post! What math games and apps do you like the best? I'm interested in looking into them for my daughter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...